Mature trees are incredibly resilient and sturdy, but the same isn’t always true for younger trees that are more vulnerable to harsh weather and extreme temperatures. Winter tree care in Newton, MA is very important to protect young trees that aren’t sturdy enough to weather the winter months without help, but a lot of property owners are unsure about how to keep these trees alive during the winter. Keep reading for some helpful tips for young tree protection and winter tree damage prevention in Newton, MA.
Common winter damage to trees
There are a lot of different problems that cold weather and storms can cause for young trees during the winter months. One of the most common problems faced by young trees during the winter is frozen soil, which can prevent them from getting the moisture they need to grow. Another problem for young trees is early winters and midwinter thaws that can negatively affect a tree’s dormancy cycle. In addition, animals often eat branches from young trees during the winter months. Considering all these potential threats, it’s very important for property owners to invest in winter tree damage prevention.
Tips for winter tree care in Newton, MA
Follow these recommendations for winter tree damage prevention to keep your trees healthy this winter:
- Keep trees watered: Young trees need plenty of water to keep them alive during the winter months. Irrigation systems can be very helpful for keeping trees watered properly without having to deal with the hassle of manual watering. For the best results, water your trees during winter thaws, when the soil is soft enough for water to penetrate the roots.
- Support trees: Very young trees can be blown over during the winter months, so it’s a good idea to provide them with some extra support. Use tree stakes to protect trees from wind damage while encouraging healthy growth and strong development.
- Protect trees from pests: Because pests can be a big concern for young trees during the winter, it’s a good idea to protect them using barricades to prevent animals from gnawing on the bark. Plastic tree guards and wire cages are both good options for protecting trees from pests.
- Prune trees: Tree pruning offers a number of great benefits for trees of all ages, but it’s especially important for young trees. Pruning young trees promotes healthy growth and minimizes the development of wayward branches. Pruning before the winter months prevents weak branches from being overloaded with snow and falling off during the winter.
- Consider professional tree care: To make sure your young trees stay healthy this winter, it’s worth investing in professional tree care services. Professional tree service providers know how to prepare young trees for winter to keep them as healthy as possible.
Professional tree care services
For expert winter tree care in Newton, MA, reach out to the team at BBD Tree Service. We offer comprehensive tree services, from winter maintenance to tree removal. Our family owned and operated company has been serving customers since 2000, and we are committed to the quality of the work we do. Find out more about everything we have to offer and schedule a service appointment by giving us a call today.
Categorised in: Tree Maintenance
This post was written by Writer