Follow These Six Tips to Avoid Tree Service ScammersJanuary 17, 2019 8:13 pm Leave your thoughts
Some companies are always trying to take advantage of people—and the tree service industry is unfortunately not immune to this practice. Fraudulent companies will prey on the unsuspecting and vulnerable with the goal of turning a quick profit. They always seem to come knocking on the front door right after a big storm has ripped through the area. Other disreputable tree service scammers are always lurking in the community. They attempt to lure innocent customers with ridiculously low prices before tacking on exorbitant fees or disappearing entirely once the check has been cashed.
You don’t want to be among the people who are fooled by these questionable business practices. Follow these six tips to protect yourself from scams and get high quality tree service in Newton, MA instead:
- Check licensing: Take the time to check a company’s licensing status when they visit your property to provide an estimate. Many companies will claim they are legally licensed when they actually aren’t. Tree removal companies must maintain a certain standard of quality to keep their licensed status. Don’t hesitate to verify their status with the state’s licensing board if you’re still not convinced.
- Verify insurance: You could find yourself facing a giant lawsuit if the company doesn’t carry insurance. Liability and worker’s compensation insurance protects you, your property, the company and its employees if something were to go wrong during the job. Ask for proof of insurance and verify that it’s current.
- Be wary after a disaster: A big storm can bring out the worst businesses. Dishonest, ill-intentioned scammers will go door to door promising deals that are too good to be true to make some easy money. Many will perform shoddy work before fleeing to the next community hit by a disaster. It’s best to steer clear of these bottom feeders entirely.
- Avoid extreme prices: Both outrageously low and very high prices are major warning signs of a possible scam. A company promising extremely low prices might lack the proper licensing, insurance or experience. Get multiple estimates to identify the average cost of a typical job before determining the best deal.
- Don’t pay first: Never pay for any services until the job is completed to your satisfaction. Some companies will demand payment upfront and flee with the money without doing the work. Others will do a poor job and refuse to correct their work because they have already been paid.
- Choose a local tree service in Newton, MA: A local company with a solid, long-standing reputation in the community will always be your best option. A tree service based in the area will have perform high quality work for a fair price because they have a responsibility to their community and want to maintain their reputation.
Choose a tree service in Newton, MA that you can trust. BBD Tree Service is a local, family-owned business that has served the Watertown and Newton, MA areas for nearly 20 years. Our team of trained and experienced arborists can handle everything from stump grinding to tree pruning and removal. Call us today for your free estimate!
Categorised in: Tree Service
This post was written by Writer